Thursday, January 22, 2009

Two Days...in one post

I did not have time to update this, so I decided to wait until today to update my projects and such. So, here it goes!

1/21/09
I made initial contact with the Dean of Library Services in an effort to get some questions answered for the upcoming Web of Science press release which I have been working on for the past couple of days. I sent her an e-mail but did not have a chance to set up a meeting or anything...yet.

After completing the e-mail correspondence, I spent most of the morning editing the articles I have been writing about our new databases for the Spring 2009 Rohrbach Library newsletter.

I also spent about an hour prior to lunch working on the research for staff development in addition to resources for the Assistive Technology plan which I am working on with a colleague of mine.

in the afternoon, I continued my research for staff development and began preparations for Thursday's meeting with my site supervisor (regarding the training session) in addition to preparing for the meeting with my colleague. Both meetings were scheduled for Thursday.

Today's Accomplishments
1.) Initial contact with the Dean of Library Services regarding the Web of Science press release
2.) Editing of newsletter articles
3.) Research and material review for meeting preparations
4.) Staff development research
5.) Preparations for meeting with site supervisor
6.)Preparations for meeting with Technology Technician

1/22/09
Today was an extremely busy day for I had three meetings throughout the course of the day, in addition to the work I needed to continue for my other projects. I started my day with research for my colleague's assistive technology plan which I am assisting him in completing. I put together a background packet for him with information on current technologies that are available.

The next item on my agenda was the first Library Committee meeting of the semester. The Library Committee is a governance committee of the University Senate and is comprised of administration, faculty, staff and a student representative selected by the Student Government Board (that's me). We gather once per month to discuss current events within the Library. This meeting was used to discuss the new database Web of Science which was partnered with a demonstration and introduction from our Electronic Resources & Periodicals librarian. Discussion was had on how this new database would affect student and faculty research in addition to the news that KU is the only university of its size to provide thes services of this database to its users.

After a much needed hour-long lunch break, I got right back to work, editing and refining the Library Committee minutes from the meeting; they need to be submitted to the Dean within a week or so of the meeting, but I still have to get some more information from my supervisor on one of the discussion topics but that will have to wait until next week when she is back in the office.

Then, my site supervisor and I got together and discussed the staff development training session and what we need to do in order to get started with the plans (we had a meeting to plan what we needed to plan...crazy). We figured that we would aim to have this session sometime in March, since February is close at hand and National Library week is in April, along with the last weeks of the semester. So, I put a call in to my O&M instructor to start the plans on her end and i am hoping to hear from her within the next week or so.

After that meeting, I met with our Technology Technician to discuss the Assistive Technology Plan that we are putting together in an effort to give our patrons with disabilities better access to the Library and its resources. On Friday, he has a meeting with the Electronic and Information Technology Access Task Force, at which he plans to present our preliminary plan and hopes to get more information which we can use to help in the progress of the plan.

After finishing that meeting, I headed back to the office to work on newsletter articles and put the finishing touches on my very long day. All in all it went well and a lot is going to be happening in the next few weeks!

Today's Accomplishments
1.) Technology Plan research and compilation
2.) Library Committee meeting and minutes (partial)
3.) Discussion about Staff Development training session
4.) Meeting regarding Assistive Technology Plan

No comments:

Post a Comment