Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"Assisting Persons with Vision Impairments"

Yesterday was the most amazing day of the semester! I have worked so hard to make it everything it could possibly be and it was. It was an extremely busy morning with a Library Public relations Committee meeting but beforehand, I was updating certificates, making sure every attendee that sent in an RSVP had a certificate made and ready to be signed. then afterward, preparations began; I made sure that everything was ready to go and that I knew where everything was located. I headed to the Bookstore before lunch to pick up the frame for Shelly's certificate and completed her gift before she called saying that she was going to arrive around 1:50. 1:50 came so fast, it was hard to believe she was actually here. We headed to lunch and had such an enjoyable time catching up. I had to fill her in on who was coming, what their roles within the university are, and we just went through some simple pre-presentation preparations.

Then we got back to the library and I shared with her my portfolio and all the work I had done for the internship, including all of the planning and whatnot for our session. We headed over to the room where the presentation was going to be held and began to set up all the equipment and such (the goggles had to be labeled and piled so I knew which pile to pick up at which time during the presentation, since I volunteered to assist her). We also took some time to sign and prepare the certificates. We had some time, then, to relax and get mentally prepared for the presentation (something I needed as I was extremely nervous). When people started to arrive, it began to become real that this was actually happening; all the work I had done to prepare was actually paying off. Shelly and I also discussed the handouts for the event as i had created a handbook on sighted guide and other tips and tricks, for which she had brought packets of information for. She asked for a copy at the end to show her supervisor, my VR Counselor and my counselor's supervisor. Maybe they'll want the file to reproduce it...who knows!

Then, 3:00 was upon us and we were ready to begin. The session began with a welcome from the Dean of Library Services, Dr. Barbara Darden. She then introduced me and I had the honor and pleasure of introducing Shelly. We were off and running! I spent the time during the presentation distributing simulation goggles to our participants as Shelly explained the condition, the effects of the condition, and the identifying factors, when applicable. We then moved onto how to identify someone who is visually impaired (thick glasses, use of magnifiers or monoculars etc. or the presence of a white cane or guide dog). The discussion then turned to guide dog background and etiquette followed by some information and history of the long white cane. Shelly then demonstrated the technique used with the cane.

With that said, we moved into the teaching and demonstrating of Sighhted Guide technique, a technique which allows a person who is blind or visually impaired to use someone with vision as a guide. We demonstrated everything from the basic position and alignment to going through doors, taking the stairs, negotiating narrow spaces, etc. Questions and clarifications from the participants then followed. Soon, we were pairing off and lining up, receiving our simulator goggles and preparing for the practical application segment of the session. I had a partner for this leg of the trip and served as her guide, although we were aligned differently than the others.

We then proceeded to follow Shelly out of the conference room and through the AV Center to the stairway that leads to the first floor of the library, stopping at the bottom of the stairs to wait for further instructions. She talked the group through the stair scenario and we proceeded up the stairs. When we gathered at the top of the stairs, we fell into line again and proceeded out of the building, using the door technique and walked down the sidewalk, to the halfway point of the practical application segment.

When we had all arrived, we then switched roles, although I was relieved of my duties as a partner with the addition of a late arrival to the session. So, I spent the second leg of the trip monitoring positioning and technique of about seven pairs. My pairs were pretty well-trained and I only had to make a couple of corrections on the way back to the room. When we arrived at the room again, the guides guided their partners (followers) to a chair and the followers sat themselves and the guides followed suit.

The final part of the session was a discussion of participants' experiences and their thoughts of what they had just encountered. Many people found it was difficult to know exactly where they were while others found that they needed to walk much slower when they were working with little or no vision and the assistance of another person. The discussion then moved into services and more background about the Bureau of Blindness & Visual Services with some audience members asking questions regarding family members who were experiencing vision loss. It was quite surprising to know that many people did not understand that the Bureau of Blindness & Visual Services not only serves people with congenital vision impairments, but also has a program designed for older people experiencing vision loss. Then we discussed a little about the family's role in the life of someone who is blind or visually impaired and what family members can do to assist family members who are blind or visually impaired.

When we concluded the session, I had several side conversations with some participants who had personal questions for me and found out just how much this session truly impacted them. I also had a conversations with several of our participants who did not RSVP for the session and therefore did not receive certificates. They were not at all happy with the situation but I explained to them that they were not on my list and that they needed to RSVP for the event. A couple of them were students who, were technically not invited to participate as this was a session for faculty and staff but I had a discussion with the Dean today and straightened it all out.

Once the last person left, I spent some time with Shelly and Dr. Darden, and introduyced them to one another as I had not really had a chance to do so beforehand because of ocnflicting schedules. We gave Shelly her certificate of appreciation in addition to two dozen roses in a beautiful vase and a KU stuffed bear which we had given to the participants. When all was said and done, I walked Shelly out to her car and as we were walking, we were talking about my future plans and such and I asked if I could be involved in any other of her presentations if they were in my area and she said that she would keep me in mind the next time she did a presentation in my area of the state. She also said that she was going to send my name in to the person who coordinates panel discussions on behalf of Blindness & Visual Services so when an event is happening in my neck of the woods, I will be included and if available, participate and continue the work that I am doing now with these types of discussions. This is definiatelty the continuuation of a beautiful relationship.

I was sad to see her go, as always. But I know that I will see her again as the Bureau in Pennsylvania keeps mobility instructors with their clients as long as possible, unlike others that make their clients change instructors every time a case must be reopened. And, of course, Shelly will be kept up-to-date on everything that we produce in regards to the session, so I will be talking with her again.

Yesterday was a wonderful day. I'm glad it's done because it was such a success and now we get to keep working on the second phase of the project: articles, a white paper, and possibly a presentation (keeping my fingers crossed that all of this really does happen and it's not just a discussion).

No comments:

Post a Comment