Thursday, March 5, 2009

UPDATE!!!

So, it's been a few weeks since my last post, but who can blame me? It's been a crazy few weeks with all of the projects and deadlines fast approaching. So, I've been up to my eyeballs in newsletter articles; the Spring edition of the newsletter was printed and circulated a couple of weeks ago and yours truly has 4 bylines in this issue. I had originally written six articles but our editor combined a couple of the short database pieces that focus on two music sources. I also had the opportunity to do some copy editing before the newsletter went to press.

In addition to the newsletter, I was busy working on database fact sheets for our Electronic Resources & Periodicals department coordinator and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed creating those pieces; I did my research using the databases' information sites, then formatted the description text and created visually appealing documents. Because the Web of Science purchase was a huge deal for our library so I also wrote the press release that will be sent to the University Relations office in the near future. I'm also working with a couple of colleagues to put together a reception and training session for this new database. It's all so exciting.

But my biggest project, one that I have been passionately involved in since the beginning is the Staff Development session which the library is hosting for its staff and selected university staff groups. We are hosting a workshop called "Techniques for Assisting Persons with Vision Impairments" for which my Orientation & Mobility instructor from the PA Bureau of Blindness and Visual Services is presenting. We're going to be training attendees in Sighted Guide Technique in addition to providing background information on the causes of vision impairment in the college student population; it's a replicated presentation from the first one we did for some Periodicals department staff members. Our invitees include library staff members, DO-IT Profs, DO-IT Admins, the ADA Task Force members and Library Committee members outside the Library. I am hoping to have a good turnout!

All in all, things are going well. I'm enjoying what I'm doing and the work I am producing is professional-looking. I can't wait to see what my portfolio looks like at the end of the semester...but I don't want the end to come too quickly; I'm not ready to graduate...yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment